Touch Project: Hair


Hair
"Hair deeply affects people, can transfigure or repulse them. Symbolic of life, hair bolts from our head... We can change its color and texture when the mood strikes us, but in time it will return to its original form"
- Diane Ackerman (A Natural History of the Senses)
Statement:
I have never liked having my hair touched. Having long and colorful hair, people want to touch it all the time. Unfortunately for everyone involved, I would rather keep my hair up in an ugly bun if it meant people couldn't touch my hair. My scalp has always been very sensitive and having people touch my hair, even gently, has annoyed me. My hair is such a part of my identity because it stands out so much. I suppose I take it as a personal offense when people try to infringe upon my personal identity with their curious fingers.

I chose to represent my discomfort of people touching my hair through this piece. With so many people wanting to put their hands in my hair, I feel as if they could all get tangled in the mess of keratin attached to my scalp. Various painted paper hands grasp at my hair, messing it up and tugging at my head. 

Comments

Popular Posts